Fence Codes and Ordinances for Elmwood Park Village, IL
Elmwood Park Village is home to about 25,000 residents. The village is located in Cook County, northwest of Chicago. If you plan to install a new backyard fence or replace the existing one, it is important understand the village’s building codes. Whether the fence is installed as a DIY project or by a fence contractor, a permit is required. The average cost of the permit is $50. Also, it is important to know Elmwood Park’s restrictions on height, location, materials and design. All newly installed fences must pass a final inspection. There are additional rules on enclosing swimming pools. Below, you will find the building regulations for fence construction in Elmwood Park Village.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Elmwood Park. Permits average $50.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application
- Copy of plat of survey showing proposed fence location
- Description of type and height of proposed fence
- Evidence of contractor license valid in village
- Fence Materials Allowed – Metal, wood, others as approved.
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, semi-privacy and privacy.
- Maximum Height Limits – 6′ maximum height.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases.
- Inspections Needed – Final inspection required after construction.
- Village of Elmwood Park Building Authority Contact – Code Administration Department Phone – (708) 452-7300.
- Elmwood Park Village Building Department Website
Specific Fence Rules, Ordinances and Restrictions
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property.
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot.
- Fences must be built to withstand wind pressures twice those required of a building.
- Any swimming pool must be contained within a fence of no less than 5′ and no more than 6′ with a self-closing latch on the gate. The gate must be locked when the pool is not in use.