Fence Codes and Regulations for Matteson Village, IL
The Village of Matteson, IL falls in both Cook and Will Counties of the Chicagoland Region. Incorporated as a village in 1889, the community now boasts 12,900 residents, The Matteson Auto Mall is the largest concentration of auto dealerships in the State of Illinois. Most recent development has centered on the western part of the village with new housing construction. The village does allow both DIY and contractor fence construction, but both require a permit. If permission from a homeowners’ association is required, evidence of permission obtained must accompany the permit application.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Matteson. Permits average $30 plus zoning certificate fee.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application.
- Copy of plat of survey showing proposed fence location.
- Description of type and height of proposed fence.
- Evidence of contractor license and registration valid in village.
- Inspector site check.
- Fence Materials Allowed – Metal, wood, and others as approved.
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, semi-privacy and privacy.
- Maximum Height Limits – 6′ maximum height.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases.
- Inspections Needed – First inspection after digging of postholes. Final inspection required after construction.
- Matteson Village Building Authority Contact – Village of Matteson Building Department (708) 481-8313
- Village of Matteson Building Department Website
Specific Fence Ordinances, Rules and Codes
- Front Yard: No front yard fences permitted on any residential lot which exceed 2.5′ in height.
- Side Yard: 6′ maximum height.
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property.
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot.
- Fences may not lie within 1′ of public sidewalk or within landscape easements.
- Postholes must be 1/3 of total fence post height in depth.