Fence Codes and Ordinances for Morton Grove Village, IL
Morton Grove Village is home to about 23,000 residents. The village is located in Cook County, northwest of Chicago. Morton Grove’s fence codes require a permit for all installations. The average fee for a permit is $30. No front-yard fences are permitted. 6′ is the maximum height. Commercial fence companies must be licensed by Morton Grove Village to do business. Evidence of the contractor’s valid license must be submitted in the permit application.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Morton Grove. Permits average $30.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application.
- 3 Copies of plat of survey showing proposed fence location.
- Copy of signed job proposal including scope of work.
- Description of type and height of proposed fence.
- Evidence of contractor license valid in village.
- Fence Materials Allowed – Chain link, coated chain link, aluminum, wrought iron, masonry, wood, composite, others as approved.
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, semi-privacy and privacy.
- Maximum Height Limits – 6′ maximum height for back yard.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases.
- Inspections Needed – Final inspection required after construction.
- Morton Grove Village Building Authority Contact – Building and Inspection Services. (847) 470-5214.
Specific Fence Rules, Ordinances and Restrictions
- Front Yard Installation – No front yard fences permitted on any residential lot in the Village of Morton Grove.
- Side and Back Yards – Maximum height of 6′.
- Line of Sight Obstruction – Installations are not allowed to block sight of vehicular and pedestrian traffic on public and private streets, sidewalks and alleys.
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property.
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot.
- Construction permit must be posted on job site.
- Fencing on utility easement subject to removal and replacement at owner expense.