Fence Codes and Ordinances for Niles Village, IL
Located in northwest sector of the Cook County metro region, the Village of Niles requires all fence contractors and homeowners to comply with fence building codes and ordinances. A permit is required for all installations and the fee depends on the size and cost of the installation. An inspection is required for all fences installed in Niles, a community of 30,000 residents. Fence heights for residential homes and townhomes are limited to 6′ and 5′ respectively.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Niles. Permit fees run $9 per $1000 of project cost, with a minimum fee of $50.
- Permit Documentation Needed
- Completed permit application.
- 2 Copies of plat of survey showing proposed fence location.
- Certificate of $25,000 bond on file for contractor.
- Fence Materials Allowed – Wrought iron, wood, aluminum faux wrought iron, faux wood subject to permit approval.
- Maximum Height Limits – 5′ maximum in townhouse areas, 6′ in other residential properties.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases.
- Inspections Needed – Post hole pre-pour inspection, final inspection required after construction.
- Building Authority Contact – Niles Village Building Inspector (847) 588-8064
- Niles Village Building Department Website
Specific Fence Rules, Codes and Restrictions
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot. Finished side must face adjacent properties.
- Post holes must be 42” deep.
- No fences may be constructed within 30′ of a street intersection.
- Fences in easement areas on plats are owner’s responsibility and cannot obstruct manholes and utility service boxes.
- Wood fences over drainage easements must be at least 2” above grade to allow drainage.
- Excavated soils and building materials must be removed immediately at conclusion of construction.
- Fence must be at least 12” from public sidewalk.