Fence Codes and Regulations for Oak Forest, IL
Located southwest to Chicago downtown, Oak Forest is home to about 28,000 residents and nearly 10,000 households. The city’s building codes mandate a permit for all residential fences installed by professional installers or DIY homeowners. The average cost of a permit is $10. All privacy fences require Mayor-City Council approval. 6′ maximum height must be followed and a final inspection is required. No front-yard fences are permitted by the codes. A swimming pool must be enclosed by a fence at least 5′ with a self-latching gate.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Oak Forest. Permits average $55. Failed or missed inspection, additional $50 fee.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application.
- Copy of plat of survey showing proposed fence location.
- Description of type and height of proposed fence.
- Evidence of contractor registration valid in Oak Forest.
- Copy of signed construction contract including fence style, material and height.
- Inspector site check.
- Fence Materials Allowed – Metal, wood, others as approved.
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, semi-privacy and privacy.
- Maximum Height Limits – 6′ maximum height.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases, with all portions including posts within property boundaries.
- Inspections Needed – Final inspection after construction.
- Oak Forest Building Authority Contact – Community Development (708) 687-1179.
- Oak Forest Building Department Website.
Specific Fence Rules, Codes and Restrictions
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property.
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot.
- Post holes must be 42″ deep.
- Fences must be sufficiently stable and supported to withstand extreme wind pressures.
- All excess soil must be removed from property.
- Property owner is responsible for adhering to townhome covenants.