Fence Codes and Regulations for Park Forest Village, IL
The Village of Park Forest is a community of 21, residents located south of Chicago, IL. The village was designed and incorporated in 1948 as a housing development to serve returning veterans from WWII with both rental and privately owned homes. The village has excellent access to Chicago for commuters due to regular rail service, and has one of the highest per capita allowances for open spaces, parks and public areas in the Metro region. Park Forest takes pride in its diversity and early adoption of environmentally friendly policies.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Park Forest. Permits average $40.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application
- Copy of plat of survey showing proposed fence location
- Description of type and height of proposed fence
- Evidence of contractor license valid in village
- Project proposal from contractor if utilized, signed by homeowner
- Fence Materials Allowed – metal, wood, others as approved
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, solid, semi-open
- Maximum Height Limits – 3′ maximum height in front yard for decorative or living fence only. 8′ maximum height in rear yard.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases
- Inspections Needed – Final inspection required after construction
- Park Forest Building Authority Contact – 708-503-7703
- Park Forest Building Department Website
Specific Fence Ordinances, Rules and Codes
- Front Yard Fences: No construction of front yard fences permitted on any residential lot other than decorative or living fence.
- Side and Rear Yard Fences: 8′ maximum height
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot