Fence Codes and Regulations for Prospect Heights, IL
The City of Prospect Heights, IL is a community of 16,200 residents located in the Northwest portion of the Chicagoland region. The community began in 1936 with the construction of affordable housing to serve citizens recovering from the Great Depression. The community continued as an unincorporated area until 1976, when the City of Prospect Heights was created to ensure orderly growth and development in the area. It remains a city with a high standard of living and quality of life, primarily residential in nature.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Prospect Heights. Permits average $125.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application
- 3 copies of plat of survey
- 3 copies of site plan showing proposed fence location and setback distances
- Description of type and height, style, picket spacing, materials, footing and anchoring details of proposed fence
- Written acknowledgement that fence will not be built in floodplain or easement
- Evidence of contractor license, bonding and insurance valid in city
- Inspector site check
- Fence Materials Allowed – metal, wood, others as approved
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, solid, semi-open
- Maximum Height Limits – 6’ maximum height.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases
- Inspections Needed – Initial posthole and final inspection required after construction
- Prospect Heights Building Authority Contact – 847-398-6070
- Prospect Heights Building Department Website
Specific Fence Ordinances, Rules and Codes
- Front Yard Fences: No front yard fences permitted on any residential lot beyond the front building line.
- Side and Rear Yard Fences: 6′ maximum height
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot
- Fence post holes must be 36″ deep for open fence, 42″ deep for solid fence