Fence Codes and Regulations for Westchester Village, IL
The village of Westchester, IL is a community of 16,700 residents in the western suburbs of Chicago. Located between US Highways 290 and 294, the village is primarily residential but also features the Westbrook Corporate Center, an important office complex which hosts a number of prominent corporation headquarters. The main village proper was purchased in 1924 with the intention of recreating an English town, which resulted in the community and a number of streets being given English style names.
- Building Permit Required? – A building permit is required for all residential fence projects in Westchester. Permits average $90 which includes plan review.
- Permit Documents Required:
- Completed permit application
- 2 copies of plat of survey showing proposed fence location
- Description of type and height of proposed fence and listing project cost
- Evidence of contractor license, bonding and insurance valid in village
- Inspector site check
- Fence Materials Allowed – metal, wood, others as approved
- Fence Styles Allowed – Chain link, solid, semi-open
- Maximum Height Limits – 6’ maximum height.
- Property Line Issues – Fences may be placed up to lot lines in most cases
- Inspections Needed – Post hole inspection required prior to construction
- Westchester Village Building Authority Contact – 708-345-0199
- Westchester Village Building Department Website
Specific Fence Ordinances, Rules and Codes
- Front Yard Fences: No front yard fences permitted on any residential lot.
- Barbed wire and electrically charged fencing prohibited on residential property
- Construction side and supports for fences must face in to permit holder’s lot
- Fence post holes must be 36″ deep.